THIS WEEK’S PGA event heads to the John Deere Classic at TPC Deere Run – the last event before the British Open.
The quality in the field is lacking, with all the major players about to be, or already, overseas preparing for next week. That being said, there are still some interesting matchups being offered up for this tournament.
Stats that have influenced my plays are the same as last week: Strokes gained approach, Opportunities gained, Proximity to hole 150-175 yards and Stokes gained par 5’s.
Vaughn Taylor v Harold Varner
- Strokes gained approach to the green sees Taylor (+0.18) with a significant advantage over Varner (-0.02).
- Taylor is ranked 24th in the PGA for Proximity to hole 150-175 yards, while Varner is ranked 100th on tour.
- Taylor also has a slight advantage over Varner in par 5 scoring. He is making birdie or better on par 5’s at 43%; compared to Varner who is at 41%.
Tip: Vaughn Taylor @ $1.85 (Bet Easy) (1 unit)
Peter Malnati v JT Poston
- Malnati has a definite advantage over Poston in Strokes gained approach, with Malnati gaining +0.37 strokes, compared to Poston’s +0.18 strokes.
- Aside from last week, recent form favours Malnati. He has hasn’t missed a cut for the last seven events, while Poston has four missed cuts in the same period.
Tip: Peter Malnati @ $1.72 (Sportsbet) (1 unit)
Top 40 finish
- Bud Cauley owns a +0.21 strokes approach to the green.
- He is ranked 54th in Proximity to hole 150-175 yards, which links with his birdie or better average on all holes that comes in at 22%.
- Cauley has made the cut in this event three out of four times, with T8 and T12 finishes.
Tip: Bud Cauley @ $2.10 (Sportsbet) (0.5 units)